Skip to content
Amid surge in cases, BMC to make 2,269 Covid beds available in private hospitals
March 30, 2021
In wake of rising cases in Mumbai, BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) ordered private hospitals to reserved 80 per cent of beds in private hospitals for virus-infected patients. In the intensive care unit (ICU), 100 per cent of beds will be reserved for the same in line with the Ward War Room allotment, the civic body said in a circular issued on March 29.
Here is the BMC new order for allocation of Covid beds in hospitals in 10 points
1) Reiterating its policy on managing hospital beds for Covid patients, the BMC has said that no asymptomatic Covid-19 positive patient without any comorbidities will be allotted a Covid bed in any public or private hospital
2) BMC commissioner IS Chahal has empowered assistant commissioners to take decisions at the ward level and stressed activation of war rooms at the ward level for better management of available beds, ICU beds, ventilators among others, as per the order
Chahal stated all admissions should be routed through the ward level war rooms to avoid any chaos experienced during the first wave of coronavirus when several patients ran from the pillar to post to get a bed.
3) The civic chief also pointed out that direct admission in any Covid Care Centre or private hospitals will not be permitted without prior intimation to the ward war room.
4) The order stated that 80% of the total beds and 100% of ICU beds in private hospitals shall be kept reserved only for the allotment through the ward war rooms for Covid-19 patients.
“No direct admissions on these reserved beds to be taken by hospitals,” the order said.
5) “We will make additional 2,269 Covid beds available to our citizens in private hospitals (including 360 ICUs) with immediate effect. This will be in addition to more than 3,000 beds currently vacant in Mumbai for Covid patients,” IS Chahal added.
6) Chahal directed all hospitals in the megapolis to charge patients as per the rates notified by the Maharashtra government.
“All the bills will be audited by the municipal auditors,” the commissioner said.
7) Chahal also directed officials to immediately assess the structural stability and fire audit of all Covid facilities.
8) As of March 25, there are 8,466 non-ICU beds and 931 ICU beds being operationalised at the hospitals run by the government and the BMC, the order said.
9) Meanwhile, the BMC has also decided to place the order for procuring 1.5 lakh injections of antiviral drug Remdesivir and other medical equipment to avoid any potential shortage of medicines at hospitals.
10) A senior official said a sizeable number of new cases are being reported from high-rise buildings.
This comes as the Covid-19 situation in Maharashtra is worsening with every passing day. On Monday, the state reported as many as 31,643 cases in the span of 24 hours, out of this 5,890 cases were reported from Mumbai alone. While the number of fatalities in the same period was at 102. Mumbai recorded 12.
On March 28, it recorded the sharpest single-day spike in daily cases after 40,414 people found to be infected by the Covid-19.
From March 1 to 29, the state recorded 590,448 cases, while it had recorded 593,192 cases in September 2020, according to the figures by the state health department. The state’s tally is now 2,745,518 cases and the death toll is 54,283.
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'BartaTheme' not found in /home/r06mt4dxeu3f/public_html/wp-content/plugins/barta-core/module/rt-post-views.php:35
#0 /home/r06mt4dxeu3f/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(287): RT_POST_VIEWS->_set_post_views('')
#1 /home/r06mt4dxeu3f/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(311): WP_Hook->apply_filters('', Array)
#2 /home/r06mt4dxeu3f/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php(478): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)
#3 /home/r06mt4dxeu3f/public_html/wp-includes/general-template.php(2900): do_action('wp_footer')
#4 /home/r06mt4dxeu3f/public_html/wp-content/themes/stylish-news/footer.php(71): wp_footer()
#5 /home/r06mt4dxeu3f/public_html/wp-includes/template.php(723): require_once('/home/r06mt4dxe...')
#6 /home/r06mt4dxeu3f/public_html/wp-includes/template.php(672): load_template('/home/r06mt4dxe...', true)
#7 /home/r06mt4dxeu3f/public_html/wp-includes/general-template.php(76): locate_template(Array, true)
#8 /home/r06mt4dxeu3f/public_html/wp-content/themes/stylish-news/single.php(10 in /home/r06mt4dxeu3f/public_html/wp-content/plugins/barta-core/module/rt-post-views.php on line 35